Saturday, January 29, 2011

Appendix Mess...

I'm finally all healed up from my appendix mess that happened on January 2, 2011.  It's been almost of month of healing and I'm still not "all better."   I went from feeling just fine to passing out in under an hour, it was all a very harrowing experience.  I passed out on Route 3, in the dark, my car unlocked and running on the shoulder of the highway, for over 40 minutes.  Don't try that if you can help it.

I've had some complications and I'm a slow healer I guess.  I do really want to thank the EMT's that came and got me.  I'm pretty sure they were from the Marstons Mills fire station.  They were so nice to me and made me feel a lot less scared then I was.  

Once I got to Cape Cod Hospital Emergency I had that very same treatment.  Every single doctor and nurse was so nice and explained everything to me.   I got pain killers right away and they immediately started on various tests to figure out what was going on with me (I thought I had food poisoning).  I didn't realize that Cape Cod Hospital was now a teaching hospital - I had residents and students seeing me too and they were all so kind and respectful.

My surgeon, Dr. Jeff Spillane, did surgery to remove my appendix Monday morning and both he and the anesthesiologist spoke to me prior to surgery to explain everything and answer all my questions.  Both were funny and chatty and it really put me at ease.  I was in the hospital overnight and I did feel I was not nearly ready to go home but that's all my insurance was going to pay for.  Such is life.  I'm still exhausted from the whole ordeal.... getting "put under" always effects me with a couple of months of exhaustion.

Of course my daughter and my mom were there to help me and I couldn't have gotten along with their daily help.  I'm not "Forgetting Sara Marshall.  She runs Hometails Pet Care for her help with Connor every single day for over 3 weeks.  He's a young active dog who sadly still pulls on the leash (especially when his nemesis the squirrel is around) and so I couldn't walk him the 3 miles plus a day he needs.  Sara did it every day, starting on the day of my surgery, of course, with no prior notice (you can't really plan appendicitis).  Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays Sara Marshall from the swift completion of her appointed rounds. (U.S. Postal motto).  

Many thanks to all the people that sent me cards, letters, emails, and came by to visit.  I did learn this from being laid up.... when you know someone that is ill, or unable to get out - go visit them.  I was often so lonely or bored.  Even a 20 minute cup of tea was a huge bright spot in my day.  

Stay healthy!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your blog and find the majority of your post's to
    be what precisely I'm looking for. Do you offer guest
    writers to write content for you? I wouldn't mind composing a post or
    elaborating on a number of the subjects you write concerning
    here. Again, awesome weblog!

    my webpage - buying a new car, ,


We'd love your comments about this post!